“But perhaps the most important lesson I learned is that there are no walls between humans and the elephants except those that we put up ourselves, and that until we allow not only elephants, but all living creatures their place in the sun, we can never be whole ourselves.”– Lawrence Anthony
All species are essential for the ecosystems they exist in, however elephants have always been glorified within the animal kingdom. Although having a majestic and strong build, they are very unique for the many lessons they teach us by just going about their way.
Listen to this episode, the second one of the Beautiful Planet series, to hear about the two main lessons we can learn from elephants and how incorporating the “elephant way of living” can genuinely make us more human.
- Key facts and features/habits of elephants
- Lesson One: Conservation (keystone species, ecosystem engineers, conflicts)
- Lesson Two: Philosophy of Life (acceptance of death, compassion not limited to species)
- Trunk: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/19/science/elephants-smell-trunk.html
- Trunk: http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/20150217-why-the-elephant-has-a-long-trunk
- Smell receptors: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25053675
- Key facts: https://www.worldwildlife.org/species/elephant
- Keystone species: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1146609X11000154
- Importance of dung: https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-981-10-6605-4_16
- Ecosystem engineers: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11607299
- Human-elephant conflict: https://wwf.panda.org/knowledge_hub/endangered_species/elephants/asian_elephants/areas/issues/elephant_human_conflict/
- Mourning: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2016/08/elephants-mourning-video-animal-grief/
- Life and death lessons: https://www.bbc.co.uk/ideas/videos/what-elephants-can-teach-us-about-life-and-death/p07j3y4k
Subscribe to the newsletter HERE !
Thanks for listening!
Thanks for joining me on today’s episode of the Mind Full of Everything’s podcast! If you enjoyed the episode, hit the subscribe button on your podcast app of choice to stay updated on episode releases. Remember to subscribe to my newsletter to receive any extras instantly to your mail inbox. Please also feel free to write reviews on iTunes, and connect with me on Twitter and Instagram and Facebook to get updates and extra goodness in your feed!